Are you ready to dive into the world of cryptocurrency and buy Bitcoin (BTC)? There is tons of information online about how to buy Bitcoin, and this article aims to provide you with a comprehensive guide on how to do so.
Simply put, you will learn how to buy Bitcoin from online exchanges and various other locations.
This includes the world’s most trusted exchanges, such as Binance, as well as a brief explanation of how Bitcoin ATMs work.
I will dive deep into how to buy BTC on PayPal and other online payment systems.
Methods of Buying Bitcoin
The six most used methods of buying Bitcoin include:
- Debit/Credit cards
- Bank transfers
- Bitcoins ATMs
- Peer-to-peer (P2P) exchanges
- Buying Bitcoin with PayPal
- Alternative Online Payment Applications (apps)
So, I will be looking at how to buy Bitcoin options more thoroughly below, and to complete this guide, I will also mention how much Bitcoin you can purchase.
How to Buy Bitcoin with a Credit or Debit Bank Card
Many of us are familiar with using bank transfers to make online purchases. They are easy and convenient, and debit and credit cards can be used to buy Bitcoin.
Before you start, I would advise you to search for reliable crypto exchanges that have advanced security features and reasonable fees.
Some of the most popular exchanges based on volume include:
Binance is the biggest crypto exchange with a trading volume that averages 163,241 BTC each day. The following steps will show you how to buy Bitcoin on Binance.
- Create and log into your Binance Account
- Pick the option of ‘Buy Crypto’ followed by ‘Credit/Debit card’. Ensure your card has enough fiat currency to pay for the transaction.
- This will lead you to a new page where you need to choose your local currency and enter the amount you want to spend.
- Choose Bitcoin as the currency you want to buy.
- Click on ‘Buy Bitcoin’.
- Fill out all the necessary information, making sure everything is correct.
- Click ‘Pay Now’.
- Click on the prompt to confirm your order.
- Your bank will approve the transaction, and you will receive your BTC.
One of the advantages of using Binance is the wide range of currencies it supports which is currently at 137 cryptocurrencies. You can also spend your crypto on different products and services.
Additionally, their fees are among the lowest at a minimum of $10 or 3.75% per debit card transaction.
Coinbase is the second biggest crypto exchange, with a volume of 23,239 BTC. It has a liquidity of 781 and uses many of the same steps as Binance. You can find detailed instructions here.
Some slight differences to note are that the app might ask for additional verification and how frequently you wish to make a purchase.
Kraken is in the top three on our list as it has a high volume of 17,173 and liquidity of 776.
To buy on Kraken, you follow the same basic format as Binance by choosing the same ‘Buy’ option, which shows your already connected debit or credit card.
Note that you can only buy Bitcoin with a debit card in the USA. For non-US residents, credit and debit cards must be enabled with 3D security.
The default crypto is usually Bitcoin, but there is an option to search for other currencies. The steps are explained fully here.
Some more popular exchanges used to buy Bitcoin with a debit card are included in the table below.
It is prudent to check the liquidity of these exchanges. This refers to the ease with which you can convert a digital asset into fiat money without affecting its price. The higher the liquidity, the less risk you face.
Direct bank transfers are a convenient way to buy Bitcoin, especially if you are looking to keep adding to your investments.
Below are the steps that explain how to buy Bitcoin using bank transfers:
- Choose a crypto exchange with a wallet that accepts bank transfers. I’ve given you these 14 exchanges that accept payment via bank transfer.
- Enter the amount you would like to buy in your chosen exchange.
- Enter your wallet address.
- Confirm the payment with your banking details.
- Once the money is sent to the exchange, the crypto should arrive in your wallet. Depending on your bank and location, it can take up to 1-2 days.
Also known as Bitcoin ATMs, these are stand-alone kiosks that accept cash and debit cards to buy Bitcoins. They also dispense cash when you sell BTC.
They are easily accessible, with over 60,000 BTC ATMs in America alone. They let newer cryptocurrency users feel more comfortable facing a machine like a normal ATM.
For a guide on Bitcoin ATMs, check out this in-depth article I have previously created.
Peer-to-peer exchanges occur on crypto exchanges that let you buy directly from a seller. One way to do this is via Binance’s P2P service. You simply place an order as a taker to an advertisement placed by the seller.
You need to enter the amount of Bitcoin you wish to buy and comply with their terms and conditions, including their requested payment method.
Look at exchanges’ taker or buyer fees, as these can change without warning.
You will be responsible for paying directly to the seller and may have to wait 24-48 hours before using or withdrawing your coins.
How to Buy Bitcoin with PayPal
PayPal is a trusted financial app that now makes it possible to buy and transfer Bitcoins directly on the application.
Buy Bitcoin using Paypal using these three methods:
- Connect your PayPal account to your bank account or debit card. This would mean you transfer fiat money into PayPal. You then use these funds to buy cryptos on exchanges that accept PayPal.
- Purchase them using your current PayPal balance by sending funds to PayPal from your bank cards. You then follow the abovementioned method to pay directly from your positive PayPal balance. This is probably the easiest way to use PayPal to buy BTC.
- Buy Bitcoin directly from your PayPal account by choosing the ‘buy Bitcoin’ option from your account page. Look for the crypto section and click on the ‘request’ button. Click on the three dots and choose crypto at the bottom of the list.
On the next screen, select Bitcoin and enter the amount you want to buy. Next, you must choose your payment method, after which you review your numbers, payment method, and exchange rate.
A major downside of using PayPal directly is that your coins will not go into your private wallet but remain in your PayPal account.
It is, however, possible to transfer the crypto between PayPal accounts, Venmo, and some wallets and exchanges such as Coinbase or eToro as a payment processor.
Use Google Pay and other payment apps
These are online payment apps that can be used to pay for cryptocurrency and are available for users with a locally-issued Mastercard or Visa.
There are four steps to using online payment apps:
- On your selected exchange, choose Google Pay as your payment method of choice. The top cryptocurrency exchanges that accept this payment method for Bitcoin include:
- Trading 212
- Acknowledge the card fees and click ‘continue.’
- Review your transaction details and confirm the transaction.
- The last step is to tap ‘continue’ and finish your transaction.
Some more payment apps that support Bitcoin purchases are Venmo, Bitpay, and Webull to name a few.
Top Tip: Did you know you can use BTC to play the latest 2024 online Bitcoin casinos? No more reason to go to casinos to enjoy the thrill!
How Much Bitcoin Can I Purchase?
You can purchase Bitcoins in various amounts, from one whole Bitcoin to a percentage that gradually accumulates.
Bitcoins are valued in Satoshis or sats, named after Satoshi Nakamoto, the creator of Bitcoins. Just like the smallest unit of dollars is one cent, the smallest denomination of Bitcoin is one sat. Because sats go up to the 8th decimal, 8 sats are equal to one 0.0000008 Bitcoins.
Now, we can see that 100 million sats make up one Bitcoin. As Bitcoins rapidly increase in value, the dollar amount of sats has increased concurrently.
The point here is, that you can buy as much or as little Bitcoin as you are willing to invest or can afford to lose.
Some exchanges place a limit on how much crypto you can buy. For example, in Coinbase, you buy as little as 1 unit of your local currency in Bitcoin. A simple metric to use that will give you the value of your currency is to look at the percentage change in the price of BTCs.
- You buy $100 worth of BTC for $5,000
- There is a price increase of Bitcoin to $10,000,
- This translates into a 100% increase.
- This means your Bitcoins are now worth $200.
In this article, I have aimed to guide you on how to buy Bitcoin in the USA by debit or credit card, through bank transfers, via PayPal, online payment apps, and finally, P2P.
Also mentioned is a brief outline of the buying process from a Bitcoin machine, which is covered thoroughly in the link provided. Make sure to take a look at that to understand fully how they work.